Butternut squash casserole (a heirloom recipe by the albera family)

Merry Christmas foodies, as a gift for you I cooked up not only for my dad, mom and brothers a butternut squash casserole dish for the holidays. This recipe is from a longtime neighborhood family pals the
Albera family, the family consist the head of their household their mom sharon, their daddy bill, the twins I call them buddies and excellent home bakers too Amy and Katy and their husbands Brian and Jason and katys stepson Nic, who sharon calls her only grandson god gifted her. I known the family since I was 9 and they were 16 years old. My mom used to take me to visit their late poodle peaches. Now they have a Maltese poodle mix named mocha after sandy tidwells late Bull mastiff who once sat in my moms lap. So this is a recipe that that has been in the Albera household for years and it's the twins grandma's original recipe that has been passed down and I was surprised to learn how good that casserole really is in their family so I decided to make it on mine I love it and my dad is going to love it too. I replaced cornflakes with rice krispies in place but be creative what you have. Its about all the fun. You can always make it on Thanksgiving 2019 as an idea happy holidays from chef ava marie







Butternut squash casserole

1/3 cup butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 can 5 oz evaporated milk
2 cups mashed cooked butternut squash
Topping
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes or rice krispies
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
2 tbl melted butter
Method
Cream butter and sugar. Beat with eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir in cooked squash (mixture will be thin) I alternately made a hot mashed potato method that works too best to beat the eggs and add at the end so they dont turn into scrambled eggs and transfer to baking dish 9x13 inch pan and Bake uncovered 45 minutes or almost set. We did 35 minutes. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl sprinkle over casserole and return to oven 5-10 minutes we did 8 minutes or until bubbly. You can double this recipe for a crowd

Comments