Caramelized onion white cheddar Quiche (i won 3rd place at the 2015 San mateo county fair)

hey foodies, today I had such a great time at the my favorite quiche contest at the san mateo county fair. this is just a warm up for tomorrow's guittard chocolate obsession contest which is high stakes because I have to make sure that my Kahlua chocolate toffee truffles wow the judges with lots of TLC. and not only I win cash toward my trip to new York this December but bragging rights as always for each and every contest. so today I will share my 3rd place winning quiche recipe, I really made my mama proud and she is proud of me, so I did it mom! so this one is for my mom carol ann.











caramelized onion and white cheddar Quiche

for the 7-up pie crust
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
8 tablespoons shortiening (I used spectrum a lot healthier than Crisco)
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into slices
3/4 cup 7-up soda, not diet
for the filling
2 cups caramelized onions (seasoned well with salt, sugar and pepper in 2 tablespoon of oil and cooked down low and slow on medium heat for 25 minutes until deep golden caramel color)
1/2 recipe 7 up pie crust, recipe above
salt, pepper and sage to taste
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half*see note

method
for the pie crust in a bowl combine salt and flour. cut the shortening and butter using 2 forks or pastry cutter until you see pea sized globs. slowly pour in the lemon lime soda. and stir to combine. split dough in 2 balls. use one as a crust for the quiche save 1/2 for another use. and wrap in plastic wrap. chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour before using. it will make 2 pie crust I only needed one to make one quiche. or maybe 2 to not waste the food! roll out with floured rolling pins and place onto pie pan prick with a fork and lightly bake for 10 minutes @ 400 degrees before making the filling. then reduce to 375 degrees
for the filling in a bowl beat eggs with half and half. season well with salt, pepper and a little dried sage to balance flavors. spoon caramelized onions you premade on the stovetop onto pie shell and shredded white cheddar. pour custard mixture over top in the shell. bake @ 375 for 45 minutes or until set and knife is tested for doneness comes out clean. let sit 15 minutes before serving.

*I use 1 cup of half and half because of the pie crust, it may vary on size of the pie pan if using large increase if small decrease that's all I would say so thank you once again! I cant wait for another competition tomorrow

Comments

  1. Did you know that you can shorten your long links with LinkShrink and receive $$$$ for every click on your shortened urls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment