Spaetzle With Cabbage and Spam (recipe testing for Jimmy Fallon's favorite German confort food class)

hi fans, yesterday I has soo much fun teaching @ south san Francisco library it was my debut and I got very positive reviews from my hometown foodies out there. I was funny, fun sweet and a informative instructor which south city needs in this kind of the food world told my whole story about me as a autistic chef and why cooking became my passion. so tonight for dinner I made Spaetzle with cabbage and Spam. I am working on it for the upcoming classs in the summer @ SSF park and Rec soon! every german households make different kinds of spaetzle recipes. but in Jimmy's family its a secret he tends to like to keep secrets to his fans that's how he jokes about and yes its really true. so this recipe is originally from Michael symon but to fallonize it a bit I decide to add spam to the spaetzle to make it hearty, funny and delicious. its not a everyday dish. its just comfort food you can have when you feel down and need some laughter just saying so enjoy it and let me know. the pieces are big but will show you how to make smaller dumpling in class. I couldn't find my bench scraper so I am going to get a new one @ chef's warehouse soon before summer classes begin. so enjoy cooking!









Spatezle with Cabbage and Spam
Adapted From Michael Symon
cups All Purpose Flour
  • 4 whole Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 2 tablespoons Whole Grain Mustard
  • Salt
  • freshly ground Black Pepper (to taste)
  • 4 tablespoons Butter
  • 1 head Green Cabbage (cored and medium diced)
  • 1 Yellow Onion (medium diced)
  • Flat Leaf Parsley (chopped to garnish)
  • 1 can spam (diced I use low sodium)
  • method Whisk together the eggs, mustard and milk and season well with salt. Add the flour and bring together to form a sticky batter. Dampen a small cutting board with water spread the spaetzle batter in a 2-inch wide line down the tray. (It may spread a little bit during the resting process, that’s O.K.) Refrigerate and let rest for two hours. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place a large dutch oven or sauté pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter along with the onion and a pinch of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes add the spam and cook for the last 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and mix to coat with the, Spam onions and butter. Add another pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper and cook until the cabbage is soft. While the cabbage is cooking, start to cook your spaetzle. Hold the cutting board over the pot of boiling water, and with a bench scraper, cut 1/4-inch wide strips from the line of batter in to the boiling water. Cook until the spaetzle floats, then another 30 seconds more. Remove the spaetzle from the water with a slotted spoon and add it to the cabbage mixture. Continue this process until all of the batter is used. Thoroughly mix everything together and serve, garnished with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
     

    Comments