Chef Ava's Caramelized onion White cheddar Quiche (part one of mom/chef daughter quiche off)

today I am hosting a mom/daughter quiche off for me and my special mom Carol Ann Romero. she is not only the best sewer, storyteller and such. she is my #1 mom. she used to work as a waitress back in the 80s @ denny's where they now walgreens is now the location In south san Francisco on Westbourgh square. the customers did love my mom there. they said she was a delight in the 80s my mom stated. so today I decided to make 2 quiches this recipe is my own chef verison of my mom's recipe caramelized onion white cheddar quiche. so I hope you enjoy as we do. I am going to see which one will take the prize @ the San mateo county fair this year so lots of love











Chef Ava's Caramelized onion White cheddar Quiche

2 onions, sliced
salt, pepper and sage to taste
2 tbl canola oil
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
1 unbaked pie shell, frozen or homemade
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half

method
in a large stock pot heat oil over medium heat add the onions, sugar, salt, pepper and sage and cook until caramelized low and slow about 25 minutes until a deep caramel color is reach the longer the cook the better flavor it will achieve. then transfer to a small bowl to let cool completely before placing in a pie shell,. then spoon the cooled down caramelized onions onto bottom of the pie shell and top with shredded white cheddar cheese.
in a smaller bowl whisk together eggs and half/half until creamy season with salt, pepper and sage to bring the flavors up a bit. and pour cream over onion cheese mixture and spread around if needed so it soaks in the pie. bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. let stand 10 minutes before serving

Comments