My Aunt Carol's Home Canned Zesty Salsa

hello reader's this Saturday I went to the farmer's market and did some canning at home after that. so I am entering my aunt carol's home canned Zesty salsa entry at the san mateo county fair preserved foods category. I must bring 2 jars on may 27th or 28th from 2-8pm so I did a waterbath method super easy. you sterilized the jars in a large pot of boiling water until the salsa is made. then you use a canning funnel to fill the salsa into hot sterilized jars then use your pot holders to hold onto the jar and seal very tightly. so they don't pop. then place jars back into boiling water and leave it for 15 minutes and then take out and let it do a seal for 24 hours and it should not pop. if it pops the lids that means you can only use it for a 1 month or less. if not its will last up to a year!
so this recipe is my auntie's on my mom's side of the family I hope you enjoy and make home can goods at home! so enjoy!


 Zesty Salsa
10 cups chopped, seeded, peeled, cored tomatoes (Roma tomatoes work best (about 6 pounds)
5 cups chopped and seeded long green peppers (about 2 pounds)
5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 1/2 cups chopped and seeded hot peppers (about 1 pound)
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
3 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Note: Using a food processor will make chopping everything easier. When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to protect your hands


tip if salsa is too sour add 3 tbl of good honey I got the honey at the farmers market and you can taste the real difference from your grocery store kind. the kind of hot sauce I use is sriracha it gives it a punch~! so I hope you make this from my family to yours and its a winner to me at the san mateo county fair!

Comments