A Fun Day At the Pacifica Sharp Park Literary Cake Contest and a Recipe

hello readers, I had so much fun at the cake contest today took place in the beach town of pacifica California where my sister Molly lives, with her 3 children, Ariel, colt and penolope and husband Danny. so I made this award winning cake at the 2nd annual Literary cake Contest, and I made a lot of people happy, so I hope you enjoy some of the snapshots of my competiors work too, I saw 5 children from 8-15 entered so I hope you enjoy the highlights and recipes

 this is my entry I made a fresh apple cake with decorations inspired by the book the help which turned into a movie
one of the kid contestants made a cake inspired by the dairy of a whimpy kid, nice cake kiddio!
 another one made by a kid contestant inspired by looking for Alaska book novel, good lookin cake!
 my fellow competitor in my adult division made a coconut mango cake looked good, but needed a book cover and one of the contestants families said the same thing as well
 this cake is also made by a kid contestant, inspired by a harry potter movie, good work!
 this cake is also made by another kid contestant, inspired by a children's book im a frog
 this last cake came from a teen girl contestant it looked awesome, she is a winner in the kids division
and guess what I won 2 gift cards 100.00 worth to a my sister's local book store in pacifica and will take my nieces, nephews and sister shopping during my niece's spring break and I became the best tasting cake and decoration winner for the literary cake contest in my adult division so thanks to all the library staff for you generous time!

Fresh apple cake

4 cups peeled, chopped Fuji or gala apples
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
mix all together in a large mixing bowl by hand
2 cups unsifted flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 recipe buttercream frosting
1 wilton lavender sugar sprinkles
1 tube wilton sprinkling black icing
1 tube wilton ready to decorate violet icing

mix dry ingredients in a second bowl and add to the apple mixture and mix well by hand. it will be super thick. grease a 9 x 13 inch pan and pour into the pan bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or toothpick is inserted in center comes out clean. ;let cool completely as you make frosting

buttercream frosting
2 lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
yellow food coloring
2 sticks salted butter softened
method
beat with hand beater for 2 minutes scraping bowl often. add milk a little at a time until it reaches desired consistency. add in food coloring and mix until it turns yellow, I would add about 10 or more drops to make it really yellow.

to assemble. frost cake with the yellow buttercream and spread it evenly. then decorate with assorted lcing and sprinkles, be creative and you will have fun! enjoy!

Comments